What colour flowers for funerals?
The tradition of bringing flowers to funerals has a long history. In many countries it's one of the obligatory elements of saying goodbye to the deceased. Flowers express sorrow, respect and memory. What colour flowers for funerals are the most popular? Which species are suitable for a wreath? Read our entry!
What colour flowers for a funeral? General rules and tips
In most European countries people going for a funeral choose yellow blooms like tulips, chrysanthemums, asters, and orchids. Some people go for roses and carnations. What's this funeral flower colour meaning? Yellow is associated with melancholy, grief, farewell, and sadness. Those who don't follow the recommendations of florists simply select flowers that the deceased person liked the most.
So, what colour flowers for funerals? As you can see, the shade isn't the most important. If you don't want to choose one of the popular options, buy flowers that come to your mind when you think about the deceased person.
Wreaths or bouquets - what's suitable for funerals?
Funeral wreaths are the most impressive and expensive solution. They consist of many flowers attached to a special plant base, usually arranged in the oval shape. They are usually chosen by close relatives or groups of friends and acquaintances of the deceased person. Their cost can vary, depending on the size of the composition, the number of flowers and currently available blooms.
On the other hand, those who didn't have a close relationship with the deceased person but still want to say goodbye usually opt for modest bouquets or single flowers. It's a small but symbolic gesture. While wreaths should be ordered earlier, so that florists have time to create the composition, smaller bouquets can be purchased even on the day of the funeral. It's a convenient and elegant option.
What colour flowers for a funeral are the most elegant? Let's find out!
Popular funeral flowers and colours
What type and what colour flowers for funerals are the most popular?
- Chrysanthemums - flowers most often associated with funerals. They symbolise sadness, farewell and despair. Their most popular colours include purple, while, yellow, and orange.
- Cornflags - they are perceived as a symbol of morality and strength. They are willingly used by florists and usually come in white, yellow, orange, red, and purple.
- Lilies and callas - these magnificent flowers symbolise purity, innocence, and compassion. They are valued for being subtle and gentle. The most popular colours include white, pink, and yellow.
- Carnations - they come in various colours and are extremely durable. The most common shades include orange, pink, white, purple, and red.
- Roses - one of the most noble flowers. Symbolise respect and are frequently used in wreaths. What colour roses are appropriate for a funeral? Mainly white (respect, admiration) and red (love).
Funeral flowers - the takeaway
Flowers brought to funerals symbolise love, respect and the last farewell. They also soothe our feelings and help us grieve which is important in such sad moments. If you have been wondering what colour flowers for funerals are suitable, now you know that yellow blooms enjoy great popularity.
Do you want to clearly express your feelings and find blooms that will show your love? Read our post: What kind of flower symbolises love?